Monday, August 3, 2009

Painting a Room in One Day (While the Little Guys Nap)

I painted Shug and Punkin's bedroom on the same Friday that I removed their trim.


A few weeks before, I had gotten started on this room and had one coat on one whole wall and 1/3 of another. This is how the room looked when I began cutting in the rest at naptime. My younger two children nap for about 2 to 2 and 1/2 hours in the afternoon. If yours are shorter nappers, you could work a video time in after nap in a room closeby (maybe using a portable DVD player that you use in the van?). Or you could just make this a two day project instead of one.

The cutting in took about an hour.

Admittedly, it went faster with the trim already removed. Regardless, though, I hardly ever tape off anymore. I use a small angled brush and freehand it. I think it gets easier the more you do it, and it's a really useful skill to have if you're often painting within a small window of time - like naptime! :)

Checked on the kiddos - sawing logs :) The older two were sewing and drawing within earshot.

It took roughly another hour to roll the first coat. Maybe a little more.

Later that night, I trimmed in a second time right after I put the children down to sleep. This time, it was the whole room at once. I didn't have one of the walls done ahead of time. It took an hour and fifteen minutes for the second cutting in. I waited about 2 hours - ate something yummy, putzed around on the 'puter (this is the weekend Sam was in Colorado, remember?). Then, around 11pm, I rolled the second coat, cleaned up, and went to bed around 12:30am.

Room painted? Check :)

Color: Restoration Hardware "Silver Sage" color-matched by Lowe's. I bought a tester can at RH, painted it on a swatch sheet from Sherwin Williams, took the sheet of painted cardstock to Lowe's for a match, and bought the paint. It's pretty stinkin' close. A little bluer than the original, and slightly more saturated, but pretty close. I think if I had to do it over again, I would've just forked over the cash for the real deal, though. The teensy variation in color probably wouldn't bother most gals, but I get really specific about my wall colors (ask poor Sam). If you're less particular and don't notice all of the undertones and nuances much, it's an idea you might want to try out.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I was more pleased with the color-match after the entire room was finished.

Have a great one!


No comments: