Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Shug & SweetP's Bedroom - Making Home {photo project} 11



I was feeling really uninspired to shoot the Making Home pics last week. I've been so out of the loop with our home... Sam and the children (well, at least SweetP) have done such a fantastic job of keeping things tidy & running pretty well while I heal. Such a blessing. But, despite valiant efforts on their parts, the house was still needing a lot of attention. I have about twelve loads of laundry to do. I'm not exagerating, either.

So, I took all five of these pics within about 5 minutes. I just wasn't feeling like going from room to room... and I haven't picked up my camera much at other times this week. Maybe burnout from the class?

I got my five, though. But, I should probably first give you just a little back story...

When we first started this blog, it was almost exclusively a "house blog". Most of my posts were about the work we were doing on the house or about trying to define my style or inspiration photos to give me ideas, etc. Slowly... I got bored with that. I wanted it to be more of a "home blog". Less house. More home. More real life. But, we're still very much living in a home that is partly torn up and getting built up again. We don't often really tear something down to the studs, but sometimes we do. And projects like that take forever.

This room is a case in point. Sam completely reconfigured the closet wall and made two closets out of one strangely loooooong one. There's a post explaining more of that here.

I also cannot remember if I ever shared photos of the two older girls painting their IKEA Rast dressers last October. I let them do pretty much whatever they wanted since the dressers were going inside the closets, anyway.


These girls are certainly not afraid of color. I'm sure you fellow moms of 10 & 11 year old girls are nodding your heads in understanding right about now.

So, with that little bit of a background, I think the MH photos for this week will make a little more sense... and maybe the wee bit of progress will mean more. This is the room that I expect to get the most attention in the next few months now that Baby's room is wrapping up...


SweetP's finished dresser :) She loves it. She painted her name running vertically down both sides of the drawer fronts, so I had to be sneaky in getting this photo. And her name is painted in big, multi-colored bubble letters on the very top. Makes me remember sixth grade.


Their comforters & the heart pillowcase are from IKEA. I can't remember where we got the polka dots. We've had them for a while.


This is one of Shug's most treasured possessions. Seems she has an affinity for rascals. Hmm... maybe we need to keep an eye on that...


SweetP is the most orderly member of our family. In my past life, I may have rivaled her, but age and five chilluns have mellowed me to my current gypsy status.



That's it! The bunkbed and the dressers in the closets are the only furniture in this room right now. It's pretty simple. But, we have plans. And the girls definitely know what they want.

Now, I'm going to take a nap. Right after I put in another load of laundry.

Peace.









3 comments:

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

I love that you let your girls paint their dressers however they wanted. I would have loved that as a kid. And I had to smile about the name thing.. I remember painting HUGE letters of my name (with putty paint) on one of my mom's luggage just because I was going to use it for camp. Needless to say, she gave it to me :)

Rita said...

There's something so wonderful about 10 and 11 year old girls, and these photos capture it. So much glitter and bright color filling their world.

Glad to hear that you are on the mend. It's amazing how laundry can take on a life of its own. :-)

Laura Lynn said...

I'm all caught up, whew! Kids are cute, dressers look great,house looks cheery,editing looks good too. Sorry you had to undergo surgery; glad all is well now though. My blog is an everything home blog too. I get bored with one dimensional stuff!